Back in 2012 I had the pleasure of joining Hank and Sherry Osborne of the Home School Support Network on a podcast in which we discussed the benefits of and methods for teaching cursive. During our time together we discussed the following topics.
- Statistics on our nation’s literacy failures
- Why handwriting is important
- The history of handwriting in our country
- How/why a shift was made in our educational system for reading and handwriting
- The advantages of learning cursive first
- Why cursive when we are a society filled with print from computers and printing presses
- The effects of switching from print to cursive
- How cursive can be used with special needs where they have weak or tired hands
- How to begin teaching cursive (i.e., tactile practice of strokes using a salt box, sidewalk chalk, etc.)
The entire episode is 1:18:06 in length, so grab a cup of coffee or your favorite tea and have a listen.