TOP TEN TIPS for getting started with SWR
2. Prepare your materials & start learning your phonograms.
- Look at the back of the cover sheet in the Spelling Rule cards packet. Follow the instructions for adding red highlights to some of these rule cards. Use a sharp red pencil for the effect you want. If you’ve already laminated your cards, simply use an extra fine point permanent red marker over the laminate.
- You’ll want to cut or tear apart the perforated pages for the phonogram and rule cards and laminate them for added durability. Gently pull the cards apart first and THEN laminate. When you cut after laminating, you open the seal intended to protect your cards.
- Can’t laminate anything right now? Don’t let this bog you down. Just cut or tear your cards apart, add the red highlights to the rule cards, and move on. Laminating is not a reason to stop preparing, but it’s a step you’ll want to get to as soon as you have the opportunity.
- Determine where and how you will store your materials. On a specific shelf? In a tote bag or magazine holder (pictured)? In a caddy? In a plastic bin you can take with you in the car?
- Tab your Teacher Texts. Put self-adhesive divider tabs at appropriate places on teacher texts. This will help you quickly find those pages that you’ll need on a regular basis.
Scope & Sequence, p. 13
Think to Spell, p. 79
Diagnostic Spelling Test, p. 197
Sample Log Pages, p. 207
Phonograms & Markings, p. 221
Rules & Prefixes, p. 223
Sections A-C, p. 1
Sections D-F, p. 9
Sections G-H, p. 17
Section I, p. 25
one tab for each of the following: Sections J…U, pp. 35, 53, 69, 83, 99, 117, 131, 147, 161, 175, 189, 201
Sections V-Z, p. 213
Helps, p. 239
Start learning your phonograms!
Now that your cards are ready, put your phonogram cards in the order listed on SWR pg 221. Listen to the Phonogram CD as you go through the cards. Listen, repeat, and get to know them!